Cookies are files sent to a browser through a web server to record the user’s activities on a specific web. The first purpose of Cookies is to provide the user with faster access to the selected pages.
Likewise, the web of 9mes.cat will be able to know all the pages visited by the users, so that it will be able to facilitate or offer information adapted to the tastes and preferences of each user.
Typology, purpose and operation of Cookies
Cookies, depending on their permanence, can be divided into session or permanent cookies. The first ones expire when the user closes the browser. The second ones expire in function when the objective for which they serve is fulfilled (for example, so that the user remains identified in the 9mes.cat pages) or when they are manually deleted.
Additionally, depending on its purpose, Cookies can be classified as follows:
This type of Cookie remembers your preferences for the tools found on the pages, so you do not have to reconfigure it every time you visit. As an example, this typology includes:
- Volume settings of video or sound players.
- The video transmission speeds that are compatible with your browser.
- The objects stored in the “shopping cart” in the E-commerce Services such as stores.
These Cookies are used to find out in which country you are when browsing the web. This Cookie is completely anonymous, and is only used to help guide the content to your location.
Registration cookies are generated once the user has registered or subsequently opened their session, and are used to identify you on the pages with the following objectives:
- Keep the user identified so that, if you close a page, the browser or the computer and at another time or another day go back to that page, it will remain identified, facilitating your browsing without having to re-identify yourself. This functionality can be suppressed if the user presses the “close session” functionality, so that this Cookie is deleted and the next time it enters the page the user will have to log in to be identified.
Check if the user is authorized to access certain pages, for example, to participate in a contest.
- Additionally, some pages may use connectors with social networks such as Facebook or Twitter. When the user registers on a page with credentials of a social network, he authorizes the social network to keep a persistent Cookie that remembers his identity and guarantees access to the pages until it expires. The user can delete this Cookie and revoke access to the pages through social networks by updating their preferences in the social network that they specify.
Each time a user visits a page, a tool from an external provider (in our case Google Analytics) generates an analytic Cookie on the user’s computer. This Cookie, which is only generated during the visit, will serve in future visits to the pages of 9mes.cat to identify the visitor anonymously. The main objectives that are pursued are:
- Allow the anonymous identification of navigating users through the “Cookie” (identifies browsers and devices, not people) and therefore the approximate count of the number of visitors and their trend over time.
Identify anonymously the most visited content and therefore more attractive to users.
Know if the user who is accessing is new or repeat visit.
- Important: Unless the user decides to register on the website of 9mes.cat, the “Cookie” will never be associated with any personal data that can identify you. These Cookies will only be used for statistical purposes that help optimize the experience of users on the site.
How to disable Cookies in the main browsers
It is usually possible to stop accepting browser cookies, or stop accepting cookies from a particular page.
All modern browsers allow you to change the Cookies settings. These settings are usually found in the “Options” or “Preferences” menu of your browser.
The website of 9mes.cat offers guidance to the user on the steps to access the configuration menu of cookies and, where appropriate, private browsing in each of the main browsers:
- Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Configuration.
For more information, you can consult Microsoft support or browser Help.
- Firefox: Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> History -> Custom Settings.
For more information, you can check Mozilla support or browser Help.
- Chrome: Settings -> Show advanced options -> Privacy -> Content settings.
For more information, you can check Google support or browser Help.
- Safari: Preferences -> Security.
For more information, you can check Apple support or browser Help.
What happens if Cookies are disabled
Some functionalities of the pages will be disabled, for example, remaining identified, keeping purchases in the “shopping cart” on an e-commerce page, receiving information addressed to your location or viewing some videos.
Update and changes in the Cookies Policy
The website of 9mes.cat can modify this Cookies Policy according to legislative or regulatory requirements, or with the purpose of adapting said policy to the instructions issued by the Spanish Data Protection Agency, for this reason users are advised that visit periodically
When there are significant changes in this Cookies Policy, they will be communicated to users through the web.